Monday, January 31, 2011

The Chronological Canon: an introduction


Tomorrow will see the first of The Disney Revue's Chronological Canon reviews. This feature will consist of reviews of every official Disney Animated Feature (of which there are 50 as of this writing) in the order they were released. These reviews will generally be posted once a month (though there will be occasional breaks to concentrate on other things), followed by several other stories related to that month's featured movie.

The Chronological Canon was a major impetus for starting this blog in the first place. I was inspired, in part, by my friend Emily Meloche and her ridiculously ambitious project The Daily Shill, in which she reviews every single item plugged by a guest on The Daily Show in 2010 (at least I think I was. My spotty memory is confused if I this led to the idea or just pushed me to finally actually do it). The challenge sounded fun, though I preferred something a little less intense, and more along the lines of things I was already into. Emily's facing a mountain of books about politics and the economy, some of which will swallow weeks of her free time. The worst things I'll have to endure is a couple of hours with some unenjoyable cartoon characters.

This is also a way of forcing me to watch every Disney animated feature. Despite being a lifelong fan of Disney and its cartoons, I haven't seen them all. Oh, I've seen most of them. I even own copies of most of them, but there are some that I haven't seen many times, some I haven't seen in ages, and just a few that I've never seen at all. A few of those I'm dreading, but there are a couple I might even wind up enjoying. I'll let you know which are which when we get to them.

So it starts tomorrow with a review of Disney's (and the world's) first animated feature, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, followed over the rest of the month with a variety of Snow White related follow-ups. Next month, Pinocchio, and so on and so on for a few years to come (and if that all goes well, I have thoughts on what to do next. You can probably guess some of them). That's the plan, anyway. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on each of the movies as we go too.

No comments:

Post a Comment